Which of the following matters to US National Security:
1. Oscar Pistorius breaks down weeping on the witness stand while describing how he shot his model girlfriend.
2. Malaysian Flight 370 is still missing and no one has found a shred of wreckage.
3. Chris Christie remains the target of MSNB, er, the Justice Department over allegations that he’s fat and may have known something about closing a couple of lanes on the George Washington Bridge.
4. Sean Hannity berates a American muslim for protesting leaflets passed out at his kids’ elementary school advertising an Easter Egg hunt.
5. Sy Hersh exposes the failed attempt of Barack Obama to insert the United States into the civil war in Syria by lying to the American people about who used chemical agent similar to sarin against Syrian civilians in August 2013. In addition, Sy details the Obama Administration’s covert operation, in league with the Brits, to help Turkey arm Syrian rebels, including members of Al Qaeda.
The answer? Malaysian Flight 370? Are you shitting me?
The feckless irrelevance of the US media was on display this week as they averted their eyes and ignored the damning article by Sy Hersh. Taking America to war is the most serious matter there is. Doing so on false pretenses should awaken the slumbering public and evoke a demand for accountability. But not in America. Hell, the mainstream media, including conservative outlets, do not even want to engage the debate.
This is dangerous. The concept of a free press is critical to a functioning, healthy democracy. Journalists are supposed to provide a check on Government by exposing lies and misrepresentations. But we have lived to witness the transformation of journalism into a lap dog for the governing power. Right now it is serving the interests of Barack Obama. Few are willing to blow the whistle on his foreign policy debacles. Actual whistleblowers who do try to raise the alarm end up being prosecuted by the Obama Administration and how does most of the media react? They do nothing. They sit silently or, worse, make excuses to justify the abuse of power by their beloved Obama.
I will state this clearly–if you think it does not matter that President authorizes the CIA to put together a covert plan to provide arms to radical Islamists intent on ousting a secular ruler then you are a moron. If you think it does not matter that the President lies about intelligence and uses this fiction to try to persuade the American public that they should back a military strike in Syria then you are a moron.
I am terrified at what American has become. We are enamored of petty, meaningless scandals, both real and imagined. We are unwilling to demand accountability of our government. And when someone of the stature of Seymour Hersh produces a heavily documented, multiply sourced exposé on the failed attempt of Barack Obama to start a war, there is not even a collective yawn, we are in trouble.